Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's a beautiful day as station treats 98 fans to U2 gig in Paris trip

By Caitlin McBride

Tuesday September 21 2010

IT'S not every day that you get to see U2 perform live -- let alone in Paris.

But nearly 100 Irish fans were flown over to the City of Light at the weekend for a once in a lifetime trip to see the world's biggest rock band take to the stage at Stade de France.


The diehard Dubliners travelled in style on a private jet, and enjoyed dinner at a five star hotel and VIP tickets -- all courtesy of 98FM.

The station had been running the exciting competition for the last number of weeks, with the last pair of tickets being snapped up just days prior to the gig.

Emma Byrne (30) from Ringsend was one of the lucky few who nabbed a ticket, just days before Saturday's highly anticipated gig in the massive arena.

Joke

"I had a ball, it was an absolutely brilliant gig. I won the ticket on Wednesday, so I was one of the last people to get one," she told the Herald.

"I'm a huge fan and I've seen them a good bit over the years. I thought it was a joke when I won though, when I got the call, I was just convinced it couldn't be right.

"I'm a huge U2 fan -- this time last year I saw them in New York. I've also seen them in Boston and London, and they're different every time. In each country, there is a completely different atmosphere -- but the 360 gig on Saturday was the best. Maybe it was the buzz of winning, but it seems that they're just getting better over time."

Winners were allocated tickets in the exclusive 'Red Zone' area of the stadium -- which was the closest to the stage that you could get.

Ronan Walsh (24) from Sandymount was one of the first five winners of the unique competition.

"I hadn't been to an away gig of theirs, but I have seen them here a few times. I went to their last tour in Croke Park and in Slane a few years ago," he said.

"It was brilliant, we were very well treated. We couldn't have been closer to the stage and I was able to get some great pictures.

"But it was even more exciting getting to see them in a different city, away from home."

The competition was being organised as one of Dermot Whelan and Dave Moore's last acts as hosts of their flagship breakfast show The Morning Crew before moving to a different time slot.

"It was amazing to bring 98 listeners to see the biggest rock band in the world in one of the best cities," they said...with great pride.

cmcbride@herald.ie

- Caitlin McBride

source : http://www.herald.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment