Friday, November 26, 2010

Julian Lennon on photography, Bono & Dad

This is musician Julian Lennon speaking from France about the day earlier this year when he took one of the more poignant photos included in "Timeless," the exhibit of painterly landscapes and documentary-style portraits that Lennon will bring to Miami for its second-ever public showing at Art Basel Dec. 1-5. The image (above) shows the rock singer Bono contemplating a lyric under a photo of Lennon's father, John.

 I was actually in residency in the South of France, in this 14th century villa, which has a studio. I'd known the boys on and off for years. And I literally just got an e-mail from Edge saying that there was this small Irish band who needed to borrow a studio and did I know of a place. And I said, "Sure, who's the band?" And Edge says, "It's us you fool." [Laughs] ...
I knew this old place had a great sound to it. It's 14th century, rustic, with massive, thick walls, with beams and high ceilings... So they come and walk around -- Edge, Bono and their 20-person crew walking around singing and clapping... and they say, "We'll take you up on it."
At some point [later, during the recording] Edge said, "Jules, why not take some photos?" He knew I wanted to, but I wanted to respect their space. I know that when you're being creative, having someone sticking a camera in your face can be annoying, distracting. But I was able to gauge their emotions. I could tell when the air was getting a little tense, when they were struggling with ideas. There were moments when they wanted to be alone to think for themselves. I didn't spend a lot of time with the camera pointed at them...
One day I was just taking random shots. I was looking to get reportage stuff. I like to play with depth of perception. I get behind things and in between things... So I walked in and I saw Bono -- he was contemplating, in the middle of singing or writing -- and I saw the picture of Dad up there, one from the old days. And I thought to myself, "What a shot this would be... Let me get on the floor... If he can just stay there for a second..."
It was a goosebumpy moment for me. For a long time I called that photo "The Lennon Sandwich." [Laughs]
Who came up with its current name, "Someone To Look Up To," and who's looking up, Bono or you?
It's a reflection of both our situations. Bono is an enormous fan of Dad's, as of course I am. And Bono is one of my faves. Some people have said, "Well, that's the obvious shot." But what's not obvious and what makes it special and unique is that I took it. If someone else had taken it, it would still be a great image. But what makes it exciting and important is the lineage of all three of us.
How do you think of your dad these days [near the 30th anniversary of his death] and what would he think of the current you?
To be honest, I don't think about him that way, at any particular time of year, in the way he is considered by fans and the media. He is always with me in one way or another. He is a constant presence in whatever I do...
He would be proud that I am still sticking to music [Lennon's years-in-the-making album "Everything Changes" is due out next year]. I have fought my entire life to be heard musically... Songwriting for me is hard work, but it's something I love to do... Many people think, "Julian Lennon, son of John, yes, and he writes a few songs." ... Photography has finally allowed people to see another side of me. It has opened me up to the idea that we really should just go with our hearts, with all our gusto and emotions. It's the only way."

IF YOU GO
"Timeless" includes more than 30 hand-signed Julian Lennon photographs -- landscapes, clouds and portraits of U2 and brother Sean -- on display Dec. 1-5 at Miami's Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. Prints will sell for about $3,500 each, with a portion of the proceeds going to Lennon's White Feather Foundation, devoted to environmental and humanitarian causes. Info: artbaselmiamibeach.com, arshtcenter.org, whitefeatherfoundation.com. Lennon photos also can be found at SCOPE Miami, the satellite art fair running from Nov. 30 to Dec. 5. Info: scope-art.com

source : http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment