Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sometimes you can’t make it on your own

If you asked me a year ago today what I would be doing in 2011, my response would have been ramping up ONE engagement and membership in the Great Lakes States in the US. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that I’d be traveling to New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, and literally crisscrossing North America on behalf of ONE with the U2 360° Tour. 2010 to 2011 will definitely be a year that I’ll never forget.

I have always known that ONE members are special. ONE is an advocacy organization, so members use the power of their voices for people who do not have one. ONE doesn’t fund raise…ONE doesn’t have a membership fee…ONE doesn’t directly deal with dollars, euros or pounds. We connect the dots. We’re a bridge. Our strength is in our numbers….people from around the world coming together as ONE. And the numbers that were gained along the way on the U2 360° tour proves that ONE is an extremely strong organization and getting stronger each day!
In total, just shy of 315,000 people around the world have become ONE members and are currently fighting against extreme poverty as a direct result of the efforts made by almost 3,000 ONE volunteers at the 110 U2 360° shows across the globe.
ONE volunteers that I have met along the way have been an incredible group of people. I have met people from around the world….People from different socio-economic, political and religious backgrounds. But in the true spirit of ONE, everyone came together to fight for those living in extreme poverty and dying of treatable and preventable diseases.
Every single day since I started on this tour, I have been constantly impressed and inspired by the ONE volunteers that I have worked with. Their passion, their commitment, their positive energy, kept me going…even when I was working off of two hours sleep! ONE members give me hope that we’re actually making progress on the ground, and for that, I thank you.
The community that was built on this tour is a solid one and ONE that is committed to making a real difference in this world. I played a very small role and I thank everyone that was involved in the efforts. I have faith that the ONE volunteers and the new ONE members will continue to come together as ONE and make sure that their voices continue to be heard. Far too many people are silenced so we need to make sure that we continue to make lots of noise.
Thank you to the incredible group of ONE volunteers I’ve worked with. Please continue to keep in touch and let me know how you’re doing. Thank you to the new ONE members who signed up at the U2 360° tours. You’re an inspiration.
Thank you to the unbelievable group of individuals that actually make the show happen day in and day out….My family on the road! I met some of the most talented people ever and I thank them for being my family and friends the past 10 months.
Like the band says, “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own.” Well I’m proud to say that ONE won’t let that happen.

source : http://www.one.org/ by Maura Daley

No comments:

Post a Comment